Communications and Exchange Coordinator
COMMUNICATIONS AND EXCHANGE COORDINATOR - JOB DESCRIPTION
DANE COUNTY TIMEBANK
The Communications and Exchange Coordinator position is a central position to the TimeBank team and the coordinator will work in alignment with the TimeBank’s mission, vision, and values:
Mission: To connect people in sharing time and talents to meet needs, improve systems, and address community issues throughout Dane County.
Vision: An interconnected community in which meaningful relationships drive collective change.
• Assets – Everyone has something to contribute to the well-being of others in their community.
• Reciprocity – We need each other. Giving and receiving are the basic building blocks of positive social relationships and healthy communities.
• Respect – Every human being matters. Everyone deserves respect from individuals and civic institutions.
• Social Capital – Belonging to a mutually supportive social network brings more meaning to our lives and new opportunities to rebuild our trust in one another.
• Work – Some work is beyond price. Those who carry out the really essential activities like bringing up healthy children, helping to keep their communities safe, and caring for those around them, need to be validated and rewarded for their work.
What is timebanking? At the most basic level, TimeBank members are a caring and interconnected community of people who help each other by sharing their abilities, talents, and experiences. When members provide a service for another member, they earn one TimeBank Hour for each hour they spend providing the service. Members exchange each TimeBank Hour they earn for an hour of service from someone else within the network.
The Dane County TimeBank, established in 2005, is a network of nearly 3000 individuals and organizations who exchange services and skills to build community, build capacity, and come together to help each other to build a better world. In timebanking, services exchanged help to fill resource gaps in the community. Anyone can join the TimeBank to offer skills or services - and receive services in exchange. By both giving and receiving, we learn to appreciate the value of each and every member and also come to believe in the value of our own contributions. Instead of separating our community into those who need and those who provide, we recognize that we all have needs and gifts to share. http://danecountytimebank.org.
The Dane County TimeBank has become a valuable tool to build projects that help solve challenges identified by the community. Our projects provide meaningful ways for members to tap into the network and offer needed skills and services. https://danecountytimebank.org/projects
Goals of the TimeBank:
- Achieve wide-spread community engagement with timebanking to meet individual needs, address collective challenges, and promote economic justice.
- Advance systems change around social justice issues requiring community action.
This is a central position for the TimeBank, as this person will be responsible for internal and external communication for the organization in support of advancing the TimeBank’s mission, vision, and goals. This person will have an in depth understanding of TimeBank activity, including staying up to date on current offers and requests, projects, organizational needs, and events, and will work to facilitate exchanges to promote neighbors helping neighbors within the network. This is a part time position at 24 hours per week, paying $18 an hour.
This position will play a lead role in ensuring TimeBank members and the public are up to date on activities, opportunities, organizational needs, and events happening in the TimeBank through developing and disseminating communication in the following ways:
- regular member newsletters
- social media
- news media outlets
This communication has the goal of increasing TimeBank exchanges and activity by:
- keeping people up to date on current opportunities, activities, and events
- increasing the visibility of organizational activities
- conducting outreach for identified needs not currently available within the network
- connecting members to other members to match offers and requests listed in the TimeBank
- linking people to TimeBank projects they are interested in and passionate about
This communication has an additional goal of public education, outreach, movement building, and fundraising to advance the TimeBank’s mission and vision. This position will work with TimeBank staff to provide communication to the public to advance the mission and vision of the organization.
TimeBank Exchange Facilitation and Coordination
This position will coordinate the process of signing up and orienting new members, facilitating engagement of members, facilitating exchanges, and linking members with TimeBank projects. Through active review of TimeBank members, offers and requests, and current activities, this position will be a hub of knowledge of current TimeBank activities and needs. This position will coordinate TimeBank members to support these processes and keep members helping to support these processes up to date. This person will work closely with the TimeBank’s Technology Coordinator to develop efficiencies with communication and matchmaking.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Demonstrated writing ability
- Demonstrated computer skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as a member of a team
- Ability to speak Spanish is a plus
- Experience coordinating projects, doing community outreach, or coordinating volunteers
Ideal candidates will possess knowledge of the TimeBank and have experience with community organizing, outreach, and communications. The successful candidate will build strong relationships in the community and in the TimeBank to promote the TimeBank’s work and be a flexible, engaged member of the team. Candidates need to possess the ability to handle multiple tasks while prioritizing and meeting deadlines.
The Dane County TimeBank is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
To Apply: No calls please. Priority will be given to applicants submitting materials by Jan 30th. Applications will be considered until the position is filled. Submit a cover letter and resume to:
Dane County TimeBank
ATTN: Lorrie Hurckes Dwyer
1202 Williamson St, Suite 100
Madison, WI 53703
Or email: email@example.com